Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robbackman
Inquisitive

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  03:34:51  Show Profile  Visit robbackman's Homepage
hows this for a challenge:

"create a smooth mechanical animation loop. get as many smooth moving parts syhronized as possible. All doing different motions.(ie an assembly line, or robots moveing using IK) no time limit."

I want to see what stratas animation package is capable of. oh yeah i guess they will have to be rendered as vector grafix.

robbackman
Inquisitive

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  15:14:41  Show Profile  Visit robbackman's Homepage
here is a very basic demo of what I am talking about.
I have found it difficult to animate things like this very fluidly and am trying to start this challenge to gain insight into fluid animation techniques.

Go to Top of Page

robbackman
Inquisitive

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  19:44:51  Show Profile  Visit robbackman's Homepage
Ok I animated these gears and tried a few different things but this works:

here is the key , go small. you dont want to have to calculate where the gears are going to be 2 revolutions from now. make a singe event marker and loop it.
also it seems to look allot nicer when there is a very slow rotation.
here is what I did. make 2 gears in wings. or duplicate the same one. this can be done in 5 secs by creating a cylinder with twice the amount of sides as gear sprockets. face select every other side. then extrude them normally. scale the faces slightly then bevel the edges and your done.

next step import the gears into strata. line them up so they look like they are making contact on a single sprocket.then group them. duplicate them and re-align them. (try option drag then undo this will undo the movement but not the duplication) then go say 10 frames into the future. rotate each gear a single sprocket forward. then do the same with the opposite one. the duplicate set of gears you made acts as a refrence so you can eyeball the angle of rotation. so hide or delete the non animated set of gears. and render up to the frame before the last(in this case frame 9, becasue there was 10 total) and have a blast once you have a shape duplicate them and move them around all over the place it looks coool

anyway. hope this helps. I can upload a shape file if anyone wants it.
here is a kinda crappy flash animation.
http://www.stratacafe.com/image_relief.asp?imageID=16500

Edited by - robbackman on 10/18/2004 20:03:36
Go to Top of Page

robbackman
Inquisitive

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  18:15:25  Show Profile  Visit robbackman's Homepage
now onto the next piece of the puzzle.
am I the only one that is in to this?

Howabout some feedback. or better yet some sweet tutorials for animation. if they are not availible lets make them one at a time.
Go to Top of Page

dsch
Regularly Helpful

Denmark
906 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  05:33:34  Show Profile  Visit dsch's Homepage  Send dsch an AOL message  Send dsch an ICQ Message  Send dsch a Yahoo! Message
Looks cool, but I don't have the Ravix plugin :/ Anyway, sounds interesting, I might try later on when I have some more free time.

Also, I did one animation tutorial a long while ago:
http://www.abcel-online.com/site/waterdrop.php

={ Dan Schultzer }=

Edited by - dsch on 10/23/2004 05:34:32
Go to Top of Page

Bob_Bipple
Infrequent Poster

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  11:30:42  Show Profile
You aren't the only one reading these, robbackman. I find this project to be an interesting one. I am currently tied up with another project, but when I get the time to I'd like to try this challenge.

"What's so bad about being drunk?"

"I don't know. Why don't you go ask a glass of water!"
Go to Top of Page

ChristianGMoore
A Regular

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  21:09:25  Show Profile  Visit ChristianGMoore's Homepage
This does look interesting. Sorry about not responding earlier. In the past, I rarely look at these forums...but that is changing :) I will give this a go. One good tip I believe may help you is to work with shapes. You can have a shape, the save it again as a animating shape. That is how I do all my mechanical animations. Helps with timing and precision of ...stuff :)
Christian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000