StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 StrataCafe Speed Challenges
 2 Hours: It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's...
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mpatton
Regularly Helpful

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  20:41:28  Show Profile  Visit mpatton's Homepage  Send mpatton an AOL message  Send mpatton an ICQ Message
It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's...

Completely up to you! Hasn't been a whole lot going on in this forum lately, so I thought I'd bring up a topic that is pretty broad to open the doors for more creative expression

The topic is anything that flies. It could be some sort of plane, a winged creature, a man with feathers strapped to his arms, or anything you can come up with that you might see soaring overhead.

The rules on this challenge are a bit different than the others. Along with Strata, outside modeling software may be used. However, try to limit this to non-competing software packages...things like Wings3d are fine, but don't turn this into a Maya vs. Strata contest. Strata must be used for the rendering. The time limit will be two hours, but this does not include rendering or texturing time.

Hope to see some participation this time around! Have fun!

Mike Patton

TylerG
Inquisitive

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  20:03:00  Show Profile  Visit TylerG's Homepage  Send TylerG an AOL message
this sounds fun...i might take part in this because i have started to have this writers-block thing going on and i can't seem to think of anything to try......thanks for the idea....

Go to Top of Page

mpatton
Regularly Helpful

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  23:45:12  Show Profile  Visit mpatton's Homepage  Send mpatton an AOL message  Send mpatton an ICQ Message
Well, my two hours for modeling is up. Decided to go with a pretty unique plane, the Focke-Wulf Triebflugel. Modeled this one in Wings, going to bring it into Strata for the final texture and render. Might do another one later as well

Click for image

Mike Patton

Edited by - mpatton on 05/03/2004 23:48:52
Go to Top of Page

mpatton
Regularly Helpful

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  19:09:50  Show Profile  Visit mpatton's Homepage  Send mpatton an AOL message  Send mpatton an ICQ Message
Quick and dirty texturing job in Strata...yes, those are all the same texture with different colors ;]

Mike Patton
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  19:46:16  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
I think I will try this one…
stay tuned.
BTW: Excellent craft Mike. Is it supposed to spin while it flies?

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

mpatton
Regularly Helpful

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  20:03:03  Show Profile  Visit mpatton's Homepage  Send mpatton an AOL message  Send mpatton an ICQ Message
Thanks Dale, good to know someone else will join in so I'm not just talking to myself (and Tyler) in here ;]

The main body stays stationary, just the propeller with the ramjets spins. Would make for a pretty wild ride if everything spun (whee).

And just for fun, some fountains for smoke. :]

Anyone know of a way to get fountains to sort of fade out as they go? Mine seems to just stop at the end (not seen in this picture, but the smoke just dies).

Mike Patton

Edited by - mpatton on 05/04/2004 21:44:35
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  22:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
I didn't realize that people rode in that thing! I thought it was some kind of surface to air missile.
The animated gif is great!
I'm twenty minutes into my project. Don't think it will be quite as elaborate!

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  11:16:57  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
Off we go! Into the wild blue yonder!

http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=14359

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  11:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
Here is a texturized version of two of my speedy craft. I cropped out the third - "Billy Barnstormer" because I am not satisfied with the texture yet.

http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=14383

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

mpatton
Regularly Helpful

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  19:14:55  Show Profile  Visit mpatton's Homepage  Send mpatton an AOL message  Send mpatton an ICQ Message
Looks great, Dale! Love that texture on the one in the background. I'll be looking forward to the third, that one's my favorite of the three (in terms of modeling, anyways).

Tyler, looks like you're linking the image off your HD. Maybe you could upload to the gallery instead so we can get a look?

Mike Patton
Go to Top of Page

mich
A Fountain of Information

Germany
2093 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  11:07:45  Show Profile  Click to see mich's MSN Messenger address
wow, cool work on those fliers(flyers? :P)
I'll see if I join you soon :D

>there is a dream I am living, there is a life I am dreaming of!<
Go to Top of Page

TylerG
Inquisitive

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  19:32:28  Show Profile  Visit TylerG's Homepage  Send TylerG an AOL message
quote:
Tyler, looks like you're linking the image off your HD. Maybe you could upload to the gallery instead so we can get a look?

uhhhh....what do you mean? sorry i don't get out a lot...or should i say in?
Go to Top of Page

dsch
Regularly Helpful

Denmark
906 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  12:25:15  Show Profile  Visit dsch's Homepage  Send dsch an AOL message  Send dsch an ICQ Message  Send dsch a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by TylerG

quote:

uhhhh....what do you mean? sorry i don't get out a lot...or should i say in?

You are linking to file:///Macintosh%20HD/Desktop%20Folder/tylers%20%20files/PLANE.JPG which will get the browser try search for the file on the local machine you're watching the page from. So you (Tyler) will see the picture but others won't (well, only thoose who have a PLANE.JPG file in the folder "Desktop Folder/tylers files/" on the harddisk "Macintosh HD", and the machine has to be a mac ). Please upload it on a webserver and link the image from there so we others can watch it

BTW, great challenge, but I just don't have the time for it now . Anyway, very nice images

={ Dan Schultzer }=

Edited by - dsch on 05/14/2004 12:26:22
Go to Top of Page

TylerG
Inquisitive

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  15:31:33  Show Profile  Visit TylerG's Homepage  Send TylerG an AOL message
hahaha, i feel dumb...oh well, at least you people didn't have to look at it's horriblness...i don't even know if that is a word!!!! let's just say the image was a waste of time!!!
Go to Top of Page

robbackman
Inquisitive

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  23:41:34  Show Profile  Visit robbackman's Homepage
Hey there. this is my first post to this forum.

anyway I just got strata a couple weeks ago and havet stopped using it yet. man there is soooo many cool features . ok well here is my shot at this challenge. I always wanted a flying motorcycle and thought it would be really cool just sto strap some mechanical wings on it. hehe well anyway hopefully this works

Edited by - robbackman on 10/23/2004 02:29:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000