Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marky
Inquisitive

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  15:56:31  Show Profile  Send Marky an AOL message
I'm getting an error message while importing called java.lang.nullpointerexception. not sure what I'm doing wrong. I just want to import a model with it's texture.

Mark

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  16:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
What is the source of the model file? Can you send it to me or if it came from Strata 3D CX send me the original Strata model file please?

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

Marky
Inquisitive

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  14:43:21  Show Profile  Send Marky an AOL message
I created a soup bowl in Strata and applied a photoshop jpg texture to it. then exported it as a vrml. when I import it into LI3D I either get that error message or the model shows and not the texture. Been a long time since I've used LI3D. But all I want to do is have my texture import with the model

Thanks

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  16:51:55  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Send me your CX model file please. Be sure to include the jpeg image map.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

Marky
Inquisitive

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  09:49:22  Show Profile  Send Marky an AOL message
I figured it out thanks.
What do you recommend for wrapping a texture around a cup in Strata? I have problems wrapping textures around cylinder type models like, cups, cans etc. I noticed LI3D doesn't read the default mapping correctly in the "map" drop down menu.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  10:25:00  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Strata Live 3D uses UV Maps to do its texture mapping. When working with other Map Styles in Strata you can use the Burn UV command to create a new set of UV coordinates and convert the map back to a UV map which Live 3D will then read correctly.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

Marky
Inquisitive

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  10:56:09  Show Profile  Send Marky an AOL message
I use UV to map in strata then when I open it in LI3D the map is all messed up going the other direction.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  10:58:10  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
You'll have to send me your model Mark.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

clintoss
Infrequent Poster

43 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  21:07:54  Show Profile
I think that im having simular probles also. i can only seem to render live 3d models if i dont have any textures applied. is this a feature that live 3d can not handle. i've used testures that were in strata and also jpgs that i loaded
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  01:38:42  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Live 3D handles textures just fine but it does have a couple of limitations. It won't handle multiple textures per object like CX allows, only the top most Texture will be sent to Live 3D if there are multiples. Also as noted above they must be UV mapped. The object has to have a UV map for Live 3D to use to apply the texture properly.

Most likely your model does not have a UV map so the textures which come from Strata and those you try to apply yourself from within Live 3D don't show up because the program doesn't know what to do with them and how to display them on the object properly.

Send me your model and the image maps you are using and I'll take a look at it for you.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

clintoss
Infrequent Poster

43 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  17:51:34  Show Profile
Morning Brian. here is a link to my files. i am still learning STRATA, i have tried to find UV mapping. im not sure how to do it. Thanks for your help. much appreciated

http://www.box.net/shared/y39nrsoolx#STRATA
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  11:42:05  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
There are a couple of problems with how you have set up your model in regards to how things work with Live 3D.

First of all there are a couple of objects where you have stacked multiple Textures on a single object. As I mentioned previously Live 3D will see only the topmost Texture from the list in the Object Properties palette's Textures & FX tab. You might as well remove all the others from the object then use the Delete Unused command from the Resource palette's Textures tab's Plus Menu to remove them from the model completely and reduce its memory requirements.

The next thing is that in a couple of places you have used the Position button in the Object Properties palette to rotate the image map which was applied to your object upside down. Unless you have UV Mapped the Texture to a Polygon Mesh type of object that repositioning of the image map is ignored. When positioning the Texture on a Polygon Mesh you have different set of tools in the Tool Bar for positioning, rotating and scaling the Texture and those transformations are respected in the Live 3D Export.

I will send you the modified model in an e-mail so you can see what I've done. For the two Textures on the face of the booth it was actually easier to just rotate the objects the Textures had been applied to by 180 degrees to right the image maps since the objects were symmetrical rectangles.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

clintoss
Infrequent Poster

43 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  00:00:30  Show Profile
Hi brian, i didnt receive your email. here's an alternative, clintoss@yahoo.com thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000