Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mickey
A Regular

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  22:04:25  Show Profile
Hi all,
I'm looking to find a way to hilite areas of model geometry other than the built-in text pop-up. The reason is that I want to hilite the extent of a piece of anatomy like on my skull model, for example:
http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?galcat=0&imageID=26439

So, in that skull example, if I want to show the whole extent of the zygomatic arch (cheek bones), does anyone know of an efficient way to do this? The only thing that comes to mind is have a trigger that switches out the texture with the area in quesion colored, but for multiple areas, the number of textures could get out of hand. The other way would be to cut up the model into a lot of pieces, but this can't be done with the necessary precision.

jesmith
A Regular

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  10:20:24  Show Profile  Visit jesmith's Homepage
Some ideas:

1) Divide the mesh into several objects. I'm not sure about your "precision" concern, since if the meshes correspond exactly at their outer edges, the compressor should not introduce any tears.

Once each object is separate, you can use fading to highlight things.

2) Apply a different material to each of the areas, using the same texture in all the materials (that way you still have just one texture and you can use your current UVs). You can then apply color curves to each material via animation.

3) Create a translucent colored veil for each of the areas as separate objects, and fade them in/out as needed. I suspect this might be the simplest solution, and you can probably get away with pretty low polycount in the veils.

-Joshua
Go to Top of Page

mickey
A Regular

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  10:47:11  Show Profile
Thanks for responding Joshua.

The precision problem (using the skull as an example) is that the individual bones of the skull are highly precise in their boundaries and the extent is indicated by the interlocking suture joints (squiggly lines). It's really not possible to break up the model and respect the actual boundaries. Moreover, individual features can span more than 1 bone. The zygomatic arch, for example, is made up of parts of 2 bones - the zygoma and the zygomatic process of the temporal bone.

What would be cool is if there was a look-up table based on the uv map where you could indicate areas with some polyline tool (this would be preferred over, say, areas of color because these regions could overlap). This would work similar to the pop-up text tool except that, instead of a specfic geometry point, you're indicating a geometric region.
Go to Top of Page

jesmith
A Regular

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  10:54:09  Show Profile  Visit jesmith's Homepage
So you are looking for a mouse-over effect, rather than highlighting the areas visibly on the screen?

-Joshua
Go to Top of Page

mickey
A Regular

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  11:04:17  Show Profile
Both really.
Actually what I envisioned was a list of anatomical areas (outside the applet) with javascript links that would trigger a sequence where the appropriate area would rotate into view and hilite in some fashion. My suggestion for the look-up table would, it seems like, allow for more than just call-out text. If the geometric region is known, couldn't color be faded onto it? This would have to be some dynamic alteration of the texture space rather than geometry material to allow for the necessary precision.

I realize that there's not anything like this in the product now (as far as I know). I'm just thinking out loud.

Edited by - mickey on 07/31/2008 11:07:11
Go to Top of Page

jesmith
A Regular

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  11:30:07  Show Profile  Visit jesmith's Homepage
I think the most obvious answer here would be to use texture swaps. The number of textures would not get out of hand unless you needed to highlight multiple areas at the same time. Is that a requirement?

I'm still not clear on why the veil approach would not work though. The veils could use textures with alpha channels to give you pretty much arbitrary precision in your highlights.

-Joshua
Go to Top of Page

mickey
A Regular

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  12:44:39  Show Profile
No, I wouldn't have to hilite multiple areas at the same time.

Is the veil you're talking about separate pieces of model geometry?
Go to Top of Page

jesmith
A Regular

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  12:49:51  Show Profile  Visit jesmith's Homepage
Yes, separate geometry. I was thinking that you could basically copy the skull, inflate it a bit, carve it into pieces, and texture or color each piece turning it into a colored veil.

-Joshua
Go to Top of Page

mickey
A Regular

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  13:33:01  Show Profile
OK. I think I'll give texture swaps a try. I guess the delay in highlighting would be a function how long it takes to download the image after one clicks on a link. Right?
Go to Top of Page

jesmith
A Regular

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  13:42:19  Show Profile  Visit jesmith's Homepage
The various textures would all be in the same JAR with the model, so there should be no delay at all.

-Joshua
Go to Top of Page

mickey
A Regular

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  14:04:31  Show Profile
I was looking at this ref from your knowledge base where it appears to be changing where to look for the image file (ie. in the same directory as the applet instead of the jar itself):

>>javascript:void(document.applets[0].getParameter('? Texture.Scene_5600a90_mat3.dataSource=Meson.documentBase; Texture.Scene_5600a90_mat3.file="leaf.gif"; Scene.3d.dirty=true '))

We changed the dataSource (it defaults to the JAR file that the model is in); and then reassigned the file attribute.
<<

Edited by - mickey on 07/31/2008 14:06:11
Go to Top of Page

jesmith
A Regular

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  14:36:12  Show Profile  Visit jesmith's Homepage
If you do it that way, then yes, there will be a download delay when you switch textures. But I strongly encourage you NOT to do it that way. Just add a bunch of Material Swaps in Live3D.

-Joshua
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000