Moving point around which objects rotate
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pflip
Infrequent Poster

26 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  16:23:53  Show Profile
when creating an object, by default it rotates around it's center. How do I change this, like if I want a rectangular block to rotate from one of it's ends?

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  16:40:39  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
You need to move the object's Origin Point, the blue diamond object you see when viewing in a non-shaded view like Wireframe. You can Control-click & drag the Origin Point to a new position or you can Control-click & drag the object leaving the Origin Point in its original position.

Be sure to check from all three dimensional views - front, top & one of the sides to get it exactly where you want it.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

pflip
Infrequent Poster

26 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  17:52:48  Show Profile
Thanks Brian!

Another question: what if I want to take a cube and scale it into a very long rectangle, but I want one side to stay in a fixed position while it grows in one direction.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  18:04:30  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
I just answered that same question yesterday.
http://www.stratacafe.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7649

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  18:39:49  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage
You can also overcome this shortcoming (my opinion) by converting the object to polygons. Then edit the points in edit mode with the timeline set to your end point for the movement. There is no ability to edit the points once animated, but you can remove the animation of the points by deleting the diamonds on the main timeline results.

I would love to see the center point diamond of the object be animate-able and be the point around which rotation and scaling occur.

I would love to

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Hans
Infrequent Poster

21 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  00:12:42  Show Profile
Hello,i have a question here too, whenever i move the origin point (blue diamond), it will dissapear when i move to a certain place. What's that suppose to mean? The origin diamond only able to move in a certain range of position?
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  00:22:26  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
I need more to go on than "it will disappear when I move to a certain place". What place is that? What is the view you are in and which is the Active Grid at the time?

Most likely you are viewing the Active Grid in an edge on perspective which doesn't allow you proper control over the movement of anything and can cause it to jump large distances.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  12:26:53  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage
Brian is probably right in his assessment. If you are viewing in Orthographic projections and set the view to the standard Front, Right, etc. the program is set by default to make the active grid a useful one. In previous versions of the program it was possible to move the object "in" and out' of the screen plane in these very "special" points of view. This could cause things to move very large distances, and become invisible or move way out of the viewing area.

This is still possible if you are slightly off axis and have the wrong grid set. And there maybe a preference check box that will bring back the old behavior as well if turned off (Auto Grid?).

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 11/24/2008 12:29:06
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  12:45:07  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Yes, the Auto Grids preference setting turned on reverts the program's behavior to what it was in the past with the Active Grid automatically being changed to correspond when the view is changed.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

pflip
Infrequent Poster

26 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  13:56:52  Show Profile
"Strata scales things from their geometric center. The way to get around this problem is to have two objects, one which remains constant and has its bottom where you want then another which has the same outer dimensions but is much shorter. Now you can scale the 2nd, shorter object and its downward growth will be hidden inside the 1st, non changing box.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support"

--------------

Brian,

I must be missing something here. I created a simple cube, then replicated it in the same exact position. In the first frame of one of the cube's timelines, I establish it's scale (which is still identical to the first cube) and about 3 seconds out, I scale it lengthwise into a long rectangle. While scrubbing the timeline, the cube simply establishes it's center and kicks over to the right. The way I'm understanding this, the first cube is irrelevant.

If the cube's growth is "hidden" inside the first cube, does that mean you can't simply have a rectangle grow in one direction from a blank screen?
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  14:32:20  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage
I think Brian is suggesting a really large cube, one surface of which acts as your floor and fills the screen. The elongating cube is half hidden by the "floor". Yeah, it sucks.

If you want to try to work around this, you can animate the vertical position of the whole object. Since both the animation and the movement are linear, they should keep the bottom of the cube on the ground...

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 11/24/2008 14:39:26
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  15:34:04  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
What Britt has suggested isn't exactly what I was referring to although it would solve the problem. My suggestion was to have the second cube not in the exact same location but positioned high enough up inside the smaller, non-scaled cube that the downward growth of the animated cube wouldn't be seen.

However, I have a better solution than that which I will post on the original topic about the subject. It will be a few minutes before I can get it written up and posted but you should receive notice when I've finished if you've subscribed to either this Forum or that particular thread.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  18:06:06  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
I've updated the original topic on scaling objects in one direction and added it to the Tips section of the site as well.

http://www.stratacafe.com/showtip.asp?tipid=151

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000