Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dynamite
A Regular

Canada
302 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  17:08:09  Show Profile
I'm trying to animate a box that's scaling upwards. On the first frame , the cube is small. On the 30th frame, I scale the cube upwards and it becomes a tall rectangle. So far, so good. The problem is, when I play the animation, the cube is scaling from the center, and not from the bottom, like I want it to. I tried many things including moving the center of the cube to the bottom edge, but it doesn't work. Any idea?

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  18:31:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Strata scales things from their geometric center. The way to get around this problem is to have two objects, one which remains constant and has its bottom where you want then another which has the same outer dimensions but is much shorter. Now you can scale the 2nd, shorter object and its downward growth will be hidden inside the 1st, non changing box.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  16:46:15  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
OK, here is the correct way to animate scaling an object so it grows from a fixed position.

1) Create the object - I used a cube.

2) Switch to an appropriate Orthographic view and set the proper Active Grid. I used Front View with the X-grid as I wanted the object to scale upward.

3) Hold the Command key for Mac or Control key for Windows and move the Origin Point (blue diamond - it will be hidden behind the center point marker for the face of the cube but that's OK, it will still be selected and moved properly) to the point you want the object to grow from, down to the base of the Cube for scaling upward in this example.

4) In the Project Window turn on animation for both the Scale and Offset for the object.

5) Set the Current Time Indicator to the point at which you want the object to stop its growth.

6) Press the Command/Control key and Scale the object as desired. The key here is to hold the Command/Control key so the Origin Point does not move proportionally to the scaling being done - it remains fixed to the bottom of the object and is animated to move in the direction opposite to the direction of the scaling being done. This is what keeps the object growing from that fixed location.

7) Enjoy your newly found skills.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

Dynamite
A Regular

Canada
302 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  09:21:45  Show Profile
Great. I knew there was a way. I was able to do this by transforming the object into a polygon mesh. Then I would extrude the top face upward and animate it. But your technique is much simpler. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000