Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

volker rentsch
Infrequent Poster

Germany
8 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  18:39:12  Show Profile  Visit volker rentsch's Homepage
Hi there!

Been trying to create some grids and return a 3d layer to Photoshop. Hm, doesnīt fit at all even in Photoshop. Seems to be a kind of mirrored or shifted ... and seems to change with the dimensions of the grids if I modify them. Canīt find a reliable solution to fix it. Maybe a bug in German Photoshop CS3?

*damnitssuchacooltoolandnowthat*

Greetings

Volker

DJLEX
A Regular

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  23:43:31  Show Profile  Visit DJLEX's Homepage
Volker, can you post or email me the image you're working with? Photos that are taken with multi-plan cameras are the only images (that I know of) that won't work.
Go to Top of Page

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  00:07:39  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage
I had all sorts of mismatches from photoshop when we tested this. Photoshop frequently returns bad results. I had the best luck sending my image to strata is it came from photoshop (with positioning incorrect) and fixing it in Strata. Strata is much better at 3d than Adobe is.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

reclaimer
Infrequent Poster

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  11:14:32  Show Profile
Yeah im getting the same problem at the moment, photoshop gust jives me a mirrored image or just a white piece of image! seems to be photoshop problem!

Thanks

Mark

Edited by - reclaimer on 09/21/2007 11:09:17
Go to Top of Page

Helle
A Regular

Denmark
124 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  08:09:45  Show Profile
Please guys

I've just bought this - and are having the same problem. i don't have the CX package and I REALLY need a solution to this....!!!

have anybody found that, please

Helle :-(

Helle:-)
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  10:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Send me your psd file with the Vanishing Point grid Helle and I'll take a look at it.

Brian Lawson
Strata technical support
Go to Top of Page

Helle
A Regular

Denmark
124 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  13:34:44  Show Profile
Hi Brian

Have just sent it to you....

Helle :-)

Helle:-)
Go to Top of Page

reclaimer
Infrequent Poster

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  05:01:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jpro

I had all sorts of mismatches from photoshop when we tested this. Photoshop frequently returns bad results. I had the best luck sending my image to strata is it came from photoshop (with positioning incorrect) and fixing it in Strata. Strata is much better at 3d than Adobe is.

Jean

Jean, if you had all these problems when you tested it why has it been released, when it clearly doesn't work, like it is supposed to!

sorry but im confused, and too new to strata to work out how to do it in strata alone can you help, as i need to put a new floor in an existing photo accurately?
any help

Thanks

Mark
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  10:29:34  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage
It's a photoshop problem, not a Strata problem. Strata is a much more mature 3D environment than Photoshop is. I never had photoshop throw a 3d problem at me that I couldn't fix in Strata. I am not a photoshop beta tester, so I have no idea what's up with the photoshop quirks.

Send Brian your problem file.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

reclaimer
Infrequent Poster

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  11:04:22  Show Profile
Jpro
strata is a pluggin sold on the basis that you can use it with the vanishing point filter, if it doesnt work very well then me and a few others are being mislead slightly! whether it is a photoshop problem or not is not helping me fix the problem now i have bought the product.

How do i fix the returned layer problem in strata?
Thanks

Mark

Edited by - reclaimer on 09/26/2007 11:25:26
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  11:41:15  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage
did you send Brian a copy of the photoshop file? If you do that, he can post it for the beta testers to look at (me) and for the engineers to look at.

Better yet, if it is something you don't mind sharing, just post a link to a zipped version here.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  15:54:06  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Mark, sorry for coming into this so late, our internet connection has been down since late last night. Have you watched the tutorial movies on how to use the Match[in] plug-in? In it Lex talks about the need to adjust the Photoshop camera's view of the Vanishing Point grid. Double-click the 3D Layer containing the grid then select the Edit the 3D Camera button then use the controls to Pan or Walk with the Camera to get the grid positioned correctly.

I'm not certain this is the cause of the problem with Photoshops ability to align the grid correctly but it seems to me to be releated to how symetrical the grid is. The less symetrical the more it is out of position. Practice creating the grids helps reduce the amount of camera correction needed.

Brian Lawson
Strata technical support
Go to Top of Page

reclaimer
Infrequent Poster

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  16:44:06  Show Profile
Hi Brian
Yes i did see the tutorials, however i was getting the same problems as previous reports, But it seems we have a decent workaround in the way of photoshop, i made my image canvas square in size then re made my vanishing point planes. like you say the more central you get the planes the better the 3D layer return to photoshop! jpro has been helping and working on it also.

Thanks

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Ken Bringhurst
A Regular

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  04:54:32  Show Profile  Visit Ken Bringhurst's Homepage
I'll repost this from a similar discussion elsewhere on this forum:

You're saying you do a vanishing point in Photoshop, choose to return a 3D model when you're done and that the 3D layer is flipped?

Adobe has some bugs with their 3D features and there are some known ones with the 3D grids returned from Vanishing Point. One solution that seems to work for me is to make sure you have side wall grids in your Vanishing point grid.

And by the way, the grid in Ps is probably not fipped but more likely you're looking at the bottom of it. If you go into the 3D editing tools in Ps you can move the camera up or the object down to get it to match much better.
Go to Top of Page

reclaimer
Infrequent Poster

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  05:38:14  Show Profile
Hi ken
Yes it is that same problem, i have worked out a solution which seems to help me personally, thanks!.
hopefully adobe will address the issue, i am having trouble with their forum at the moment and cannot see many posts on the issue to see wether anyone cares enough or not in the photoshop world!

Thanks

Mark
Go to Top of Page

DavidMac
Infrequent Poster

Belgium
12 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  10:12:18  Show Profile
This is probably just pouring fuel on the flames but I have been experiencing all of the above symptoms in varying degrees plus PS often returning completely empty 3D layers. Very often the results are so flipped and displaced that camera adjustment isn't really an option.

I shall obviously be trying Adobe's forums too as the fixes suggested here are for the most part only applicable in the case of slight offset of the 3D layer ... which good fortune is seldom the case in reality. I have NEVER had a 3D layer produced that lined up properly and very rarely one that had nothing worse than a simple offset. Most of the time the layers are wildly erratic or empty.

Whilst it may not be directly your fault, it certainly is your problem. 3D IN is effectively a complete waste of time and money without proper PS functionality. I am disappointed that your product has been marketed in apparent disregard of PS's inadequacies in respect of producing the 3D layers which are pivotal to it's proper function as a plug in.

Sorry guys ... but I think we users have real reason to beef with Strata as well as Adobe over this.

Sadly ........ That's my two pennyworth .....
Go to Top of Page

DavidMac
Infrequent Poster

Belgium
12 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  10:19:12  Show Profile
Sorry about the multiples. I kept getting floodgate please try again after one minute messages. I did and then it posted all three attempts at once. Apologies.
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  12:04:06  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message
Don't try to create one VP grid and return it to Photoshop.

Create several grids. Usually it's pretty easy to create derivative surfaces from the first grid. The deeper into your scene the grids extend, the closer the returned grids will be.

Also, don't create grids that stretch far off the canvas. Try to make sure that everything fits in the scene.

I know where you're coming from. It boggles my mind that you can create something in one part of PS, and it looks completely different in another part of Photoshop. You'd think that would come up early in beta testing.

There is a .1 update to Photoshop today. I wonder if they've made any fixes.

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

DavidMac
Infrequent Poster

Belgium
12 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  12:28:41  Show Profile
Micheal

Many thanks for the tips I shall have a play. Certainly my grids often have to extend beyond the picture. If that is a problem then maybe increasing canvas size to provide an "in image" grid reserve might help.

I installed the upgrade this morning - doesn't solve this one I am afraid.

Meanwhile I am waiting to see what comes out of Adobe's forums. I posted there at the same time as here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000