Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amsdirector
A Regular

Germany
107 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  15:06:36  Show Profile  Visit amsdirector's Homepage
I'm very interested in the technique of camera mapping, and therefor my question is: Is camera mapping scriptable?

sort of perspective projection, instead of planar projecting...

I've already tried different alternatives, including
1. distortion & undistorting the object after planar projection, but the result isn't very satisfying (too unpredictable & heavily incorrect)
2. UV mapping (creating a simple object, import it into wings, do uv-mapping & reimporting into strata), but the triangular projection causes ugly distortions of the image/texture.

i think it's a very interesting technique & I was asked if could do such stuff in their next movie project (I'm creating the special effects).

Oh, one last thing:
the latest script is great - the use of sprites was also an issue I was looking a resolution..., also great for special effects...

http://www.geocities.com/desperate_minds

Edited by - amsdirector on 10/05/2006 15:07:55

jbradley
Inquisitive

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  15:13:52  Show Profile
Texture mapping via using a camera projection is not possible in Strata.

In software like Maya, you're given the ability to just connect a 3d projection node (which can be a camera) to the texture uv mapping. Strata doesn't have this capability right yet (hope it will though!).

If you mean the the Point At script ... thanks!

The setup is pretty straight forward. As some already know, I'm a bit wordy, so sorry if the PDF file is a little longer than it could be. :)

Feel free to post any comments on that script in the new thread I created if you want.

cheers.

Jon Bradley
Animator / VFX Artist
Go to Top of Page

amsdirector
A Regular

Germany
107 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  16:31:40  Show Profile  Visit amsdirector's Homepage
all right...

I think I'll try once again the UV mapping issue, It still provides the best results...i'll look for a way to get rid of these distorions...at the moment...

If anyone finds a way to eliminate the distortions, or a good solution to fake camera mapping, please tell me...!

Go to Top of Page

jbradley
Inquisitive

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  17:01:50  Show Profile
Easiest and old way of doing it prior to camera mapping was to do the following (or something similar).

1. Build your scene as you want it mapped
2. Rotate and position your scene in an orthographic view (no perspective).
3. Render a still image of the entire scene (grouped).
4. Paint and do your matte painting work, etc.
5. Bring back in still and planar map from the direction of the original orthographic render

Everything should match up perfectly. Of course, you'll get distortion as you animate a camera into a scene, but that happens no matter what technique you use (unless you UV map multiple projections to a single object, as you can do in some other applications).

Just a thougt.

Jon Bradley
Animator / VFX Artist
Go to Top of Page

amsdirector
A Regular

Germany
107 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  07:57:25  Show Profile  Visit amsdirector's Homepage
Maybe I'll explain my camera-mapping situation (It's possible that we're in two different directions ):

Additional notes:

1. The frame around the image serves as space to render points outside the image (for correct mapping).

2. first the image, then the geometry

3. The geometry gets imported into wings3d for uv mapping...

One image can say more than 1000 words...

Go to Top of Page

jbradley
Inquisitive

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  09:12:57  Show Profile
OK.... I do see what you're doing, and it still applies to what I was saying before.

Best thing in this situation, depending on your camera move, is to do what I said 3 separate times.

First, in photoshop garbage matte the left-foreground (with the trees, ground) as a separate element. Second, matte paint an extension to the ground plane with the left-foreground removed. Finally, separate the far hills out and do a separate layer for that.

Then, follow the steps I provided for an orthographic mapping of the separate pieces. Just rotate the whole group to closely match what you are looking at and render three separate geometries and map them with your textures using a planar projection.

Then, after all elements are mapped in the orthographic mode, create a new camera from view and re-size the elements so they fit slightly outside action safe in the camera frame (~10% of the frame size).

I think this would work fine for your situation, but of course it's only one way to do it. :)

Good luck!

Jon Bradley
Animator / VFX Artist
Go to Top of Page

amsdirector
A Regular

Germany
107 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  13:26:28  Show Profile  Visit amsdirector's Homepage
After a few hours of going through it in my mind, I might have got it:
(when I model the geometry after I find the image
Let me guess: I do a planar render of my object ( f.ex. my background plane) then I do a perspective rendering of the same object, distort the perspective render so that it fits to the planar render (in Photoshop or in after effects) then redo the sames kind of distortion for the part of the image... (better: After Effects, so I can simply copy the distortion effect) but that means that my geometry can only contist of planes / sprites only.
According to my image, my cliffside may only cosist of one plane (with f.ex. soft edges at the chiseled bottom), or must do a separate cutout for each polygon, right?
If I'm wrong, sorry that I bother you so much...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000