Landscape Challenge....
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicholas8681
A Regular

384 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  10:22:07  Show Profile  Send Nicholas8681 an AOL message
Lets try something rarely seen in Strata....a landscape scene...I'm talking rolling plains and mountains...

Take as much time as you want..this isn't a SPEED challenge, but just a challenge.

Try and do as much as you can in Strata..don't forget Strata has the import feature where you can import a map and make it into a terrain.

Good luck!

Brian

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  11:43:27  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
This sounds like a great challenge Brian. I'm in.
I'm not sure about the rolling plains - I'm an islander. How about montains and rolling seas?
It would be cool to see more organic modelling done with Strata, and you are right - importing greyscale maps (or using the displacement map feature) is a great way to build terrain.

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

Nicholas8681
A Regular

384 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  12:01:46  Show Profile  Send Nicholas8681 an AOL message
Dasch-

Sounds good:) I'm interested to see what others can come up with. My main issues have been with getting the sky--background to look right...I have some ideas!:)

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  15:28:09  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
Here is my "sketch" for my entry.
http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=13891
HEAVY Photoshop work on the rendering.
The islands are a displacement map on a bezier plane - as is the beach.
The sky is a glo dome with a painted cloud map on it. More work was done to the sky in Photoshop.
Anyway, must go out and appreciate the beautiful weather outside. The day is a-wastin'.
Good luck on entries!

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

darren
A Regular

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  17:48:10  Show Profile
Dasch! Beautiful weather? The east coast (USA) is really cold for spring. We are getting something like a 30F drop from this morning (4-4-04) to this evening...then add gust of wing, rain and maybe snow. Dasch Send that weather down my way...
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  21:25:36  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
Hi Darren I wish I could share. It was in the upper teens, maybe even 20 degrees Celsius (50-60F?) It is now 7:21:04:04 and about 14C. Truly a gorgeous Spring day. Enjoyed it at a theatre department reunion/retirement party on the campus of our local University.
From the parking lot we could see across the Strait of Georgia to the mainland - a dsitance of app. 35 miles. Oh, and clad in only T-shirt and jeans.
Sorry, man.

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

Nicholas8681
A Regular

384 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  00:53:16  Show Profile  Send Nicholas8681 an AOL message
Mine thus far....not happy at ALL with it....
http://www.stratacafe.com/image_relief.asp?imageID=13893
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  10:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
Nice rolling hills Brian. Could definitely use some texturing. Good start though!

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

Nicholas8681
A Regular

384 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  10:34:22  Show Profile  Send Nicholas8681 an AOL message
Interesting freeware- http://planetgenesis.sourceforge.net/

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  11:05:22  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
Okay, my second version. Though technically it is a seascape, not really a landscape.

http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=13974

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

TylerG
Inquisitive

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  12:51:31  Show Profile  Visit TylerG's Homepage  Send TylerG an AOL message
i think that i will take part in this too... but would it be o.k if i make a little scene whith a canyon, and a river flowing through it? and if not, i have this really bad scene where there is a beach with a tree and treasure box...i'll just post them both

An elephant never forgets... but i forgot what the elephant remebered...
Go to Top of Page

TylerG
Inquisitive

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  16:13:45  Show Profile  Visit TylerG's Homepage  Send TylerG an AOL message
well here you go, for some reason i can't put it on the gallery, it says i have to load an image and thumbnail...even though i already did

Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  10:21:00  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
Hey Tyler, were your images the right size? The gallery will reject images (and thumbs) that are too big (Size and memory-wise).

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

TylerG
Inquisitive

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  17:36:17  Show Profile  Visit TylerG's Homepage  Send TylerG an AOL message
yeah...the size was right and all i checked after it was rejected a lot.... then i made the size smaller, and it still denied it... then i forgot to change the thumbnail image, after i fixed that it STILL denied it... i don't know what i did wrong!!!

Go to Top of Page

Bob_Bipple
Infrequent Poster

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  11:57:15  Show Profile
Alright. Here's my entry. Comments? Suggestions on what to add to the scene would be great. Or... if you don't like the picture at all, suggestions on how to change it to make it more likeable would be nice too.

http://www.stratacafe.com/image_relief.asp?imageID=14156
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000