And yet, another speed challenge:
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LCGuy
A Regular

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  19:21:12  Show Profile  Visit LCGuy's Homepage  Send LCGuy an AOL message
http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=9444

I love this new forum; when I can free up some time from my current work, I'll certainly participate; this is a great way to learn from eachother. Anyway...

I don't know if any of you remember the above image when I posted it last year. It was a 45 minute challenge for a 3D magazine to see how much of this simple scene the writer could model, texture, and light the various popular 3D packages; rendering time additional.

I did the above in 45 minutes, as indicated in the image text. The only standard preset was the floor texture, and my own personal glowdome texture.. I made everything else from scratch in the modeling time.

So, your challenge, should you decide to accept it, is to create the scene above, with as close to "photo-realism" as possible, in 45 minutes or less. The cup and saucer must be glass, the spoon must be Stainless Steel, and the orange must be, well, orange. I made my coffee light with no cream, but you can put milk in it,if you like. You can change/create the placemat texture, and the ground texture, using existing presets. If you can't do a glowdome, or don't have the Pro version and can't do radioisty, then raytracing with lights is fine - just go for true "photo-realism".

Match the final image size, also, to keep it consistant. 45 minutes, start to finish, wih=thout the render set-up and time. But post your render time and information, just to give us all something to learn from.

When I did this, it was a real challenge, and I thought about and planned it for 20 minutes or so before I even started it. That made it a much more efficient process, for sure.

Good luck!

(this tape will-self destruct in 5 seconds!)

"The more I learn, the more I realize how little I really do know."

mich
A Fountain of Information

Germany
2093 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  13:00:54  Show Profile  Click to see mich's MSN Messenger address
I added my image: http://www.stratacafe.com/image_relief.asp?imageID=12994
its not really photorealistic but well...

>there is a dream I am living, there is a life I am dreaming of!<
Go to Top of Page

LCGuy
A Regular

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  07:22:26  Show Profile  Visit LCGuy's Homepage  Send LCGuy an AOL message
Mich...

I posted a comment.. really good work. Not easy to do this, in fact, it's harder than it would appear because there are so many things to consider in order to be prepared for a good render when you are done...

Again, great work!

Go to Top of Page

mich

Germany
2093 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  12:10:44  Show Profile  Click to see mich's MSN Messenger address
Thanx Howard!
Yeah, you have to plan beforehand how you are going to approach your work, but its a good challenge to accomplish.
Go to Top of Page

LCGuy
A Regular

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  15:19:23  Show Profile  Visit LCGuy's Homepage  Send LCGuy an AOL message
Mich...

This won't be that popular of a challenge for most because it's not "creative" in nature... it requires just what you indicated... planning...

But, even though I knew that, I figured I'd post it for the few who dared to be diligent enough to take it on...

;)

Go to Top of Page

dsch
Regularly Helpful

Denmark
906 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  11:22:12  Show Profile  Visit dsch's Homepage  Send dsch an AOL message  Send dsch an ICQ Message  Send dsch a Yahoo! Message
Looks cool Mich and Howard. Yeah, this challenge has too little freedom for me to dare to try

={ Dan Schultzer }=
Go to Top of Page

mich

Germany
2093 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  14:36:46  Show Profile  Click to see mich's MSN Messenger address
yeah yeah Dan, you are just too lazy! ;)
Go to Top of Page

dsch
Regularly Helpful

Denmark
906 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  16:39:10  Show Profile  Visit dsch's Homepage  Send dsch an AOL message  Send dsch an ICQ Message  Send dsch a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by mich

yeah yeah Dan, you are just too lazy! ;)

Ugh...er...well, *surrender* guess I just have to admit it then

={ Dan Schultzer }=
Go to Top of Page

dlofgreen
A Regular

286 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  11:29:19  Show Profile  Visit dlofgreen's Homepage
I read the article that this challenge was in. It was pretty good and now I have an even greater appreciation for the folks that put it together. As I recall Strata rated middle of the road compared to the others. Some were rated worse some were rated better.

Anyway here is my stab at it. my time was 43 minutes and my render time was 1 hour with radiosity set to fine and 9 pixel smoothness with a glowdome.

Edited by - dlofgreen on 02/25/2004 16:25:17
Go to Top of Page

Paul Corfield
Inquisitive

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  17:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Paul Corfield's Homepage
Here's my effort. Not all that good but I am only on my second week of using Strata. Took me about an hour from scratch. Most time is lost remembering where stuff is. My spoon was total rubbish so I hid the end in the coffee cup. My orange was ok but couldn't find a good texture for it, hence the use of depth of field. Made the glow dome etc easily enough. Lathed the cup and saucer as one object and could have put more form in the saucer. Looks a little flat. Only did a quick render with radiosity and no fancy stuff as didn't think it worth any more than that.
See image below.
Paul.

http://www.paulcorfield.com
Go to Top of Page

LCGuy
A Regular

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  07:02:26  Show Profile  Visit LCGuy's Homepage  Send LCGuy an AOL message
Nice work, guys. It isn't an easy one.. and the time limit forces one to make some serious decisions.

A pro like Duncan or Jean of Chris could handle this with ease, as they have thier workflow down pat, and thier knowledge of textures eliminates the test-rendering phase of modeling/texturing.

I posted this challenge becaseu, I felt, it forced the challenger to test, and therefore define, his/her own limits... it's a good one, for sure.

I hope more people try it.

Go to Top of Page

TylerG
Inquisitive

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  17:26:06  Show Profile  Visit TylerG's Homepage  Send TylerG an AOL message
nicely put, but it is true... it is hard to make something up quickly without that much planning or test rendering

An elephant never forgets... but i forgot what the elephant remebered...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000