Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Duncan
Regularly Helpful

USA
806 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  21:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Duncan's Homepage
Cool, a new toy! Let's break it in with a test of modeling skill, speed and (heh...) honesty.

20 minute cell phone. Modeling only; no textures or scene. Render time does not count towards the 20 minutes, so you can set up a 12 hour glow dome if you want to... Keep your eye on the clock and STOP modeling at 20 minutes. Get those kitchen timers ready....

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  21:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
Nice challenge Duncan. Twenty minutes will be a tough nut.

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

TylerG
Inquisitive

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  10:42:17  Show Profile  Visit TylerG's Homepage  Send TylerG an AOL message
20 MINUTES! Does that start the second you open strata? my computer is the slowest you could see. it takes 5 minutes to open strata!! Anyway it sounds like alot of fun. hope these challanges catch on.!!!

Edited by - TylerG on 01/29/2004 15:51:01
Go to Top of Page

Duncan
Regularly Helpful

USA
806 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  12:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Duncan's Homepage
20 minutes for a cellphone, what was I thinking? I cheated a little, scanning a phone for a template and practicing some of the steps a few times before I set the timer, and I did ok, except that I ran out of time. Didn't get to the antennae or a couple of the keys, and didn't have time to put it together... I did get some nice shapes though; a beveled extrusion with a deformation lattice for the face and back took just a moment. Getting the booleans clean is what took time. Anyone else gonna do one of these things, or are Tyler and I the only speed freaks in the forum today?

Go to Top of Page

dsch
Regularly Helpful

Denmark
906 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  12:43:29  Show Profile  Visit dsch's Homepage  Send dsch an AOL message  Send dsch an ICQ Message  Send dsch a Yahoo! Message
Oo, 20 min, yeah, it's a tough one. Well, don't think I'll try this one since I've no idea for how doing a cool looking cell phone. BTW, Tyler you should post your entry and your brothers as well here (or link to it)

={ Dan Schultzer }=
Go to Top of Page

dsch
Regularly Helpful

Denmark
906 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  12:47:02  Show Profile  Visit dsch's Homepage  Send dsch an AOL message  Send dsch an ICQ Message  Send dsch a Yahoo! Message
Oo, looks cool Duncan. (wow, did I've this topic opened for that long before ever looked at it . Great work as well as Tylers and his brothers. (oo, you're fast )

={ Dan Schultzer }=
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  12:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
Here is my entry. I know, I know, a gimmicky way to avoid modelling technology.
And a cheesy joke to boot. Good thing for our little friend that he got the "hands-free" model.
http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=12928

PS: I will post my sketch and planning drawings if anyone is interested.
I also wanted to place a bloodstream graphic in the background, but didn't have the time to find or build one.
Dasch

Edited by - Dasch on 01/30/2004 12:55:31
Go to Top of Page

mich
A Fountain of Information

Germany
2093 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  13:12:33  Show Profile  Click to see mich's MSN Messenger address
Nothing compared to those previous posted but here's my entry...
http://www.stratacafe.com/image_relief.asp?imageID=12929

>there is a dream I am living, there is a life I am dreaming of!<

Edited by - mich on 01/30/2004 14:44:05
Go to Top of Page

mich

Germany
2093 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  14:42:20  Show Profile  Click to see mich's MSN Messenger address
anotherone!
http://www.stratacafe.com/image_relief.asp?imageID=12931
Go to Top of Page

dsch
Regularly Helpful

Denmark
906 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  16:03:58  Show Profile  Visit dsch's Homepage  Send dsch an AOL message  Send dsch an ICQ Message  Send dsch a Yahoo! Message
Hehe, clever way for avoiding modelling technology, Dasch. And nice work on your horrible and ulgy phones Mich (heh, weird numpad on the first one ) Yeah, the big brick phone looks really akward when they are showed as handy quick portable phones in "old" movies. BTW, did your texturing part include in the 20 min. limit, Mich and Dasch?

={ Dan Schultzer }=
Go to Top of Page

mich

Germany
2093 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  05:08:34  Show Profile  Click to see mich's MSN Messenger address
I just slapped the textures on, if that can be called textures. But for the first one I have to confess that I tried to tweak the texture after the time limit for the render.. but that didnt make any difference to anything

Edited by - mich on 02/01/2004 05:12:36
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  09:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
Yes, Dan. All textures included in the deadline. The cell himself is just Strata's "glass" texture, nucleus is the same with some colour. The circular frame is one of my stock transparency textures on a small plane in front of the camera, so I didn't have to create any textures..

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

LCGuy
A Regular

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  22:53:38  Show Profile  Visit LCGuy's Homepage  Send LCGuy an AOL message
http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=12958

I finally got the time to give this a shot. NOT easy!

Especially a screw up like me...

Duncan.. you are a sadist, for sure... ;)

"The more I learn, the more I realize how little I really do know."
Go to Top of Page

ycarry
A Regular

France
194 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  10:19:23  Show Profile
http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=13184-> Phone!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000