Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 3

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  16:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
Hey Danne:
Nessy looks good. What did you time-out at? (How long did it take?)

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1264 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  17:58:24  Show Profile
Cool elephant, Yves

Dasch: ~400 bears. I make up for quality with quantity.

Steven Richards
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  22:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
So far I think Yves Elephant is the most convincing. I love the button eye. Tyler's Flatypus is pretty humourous!

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

Duncan
Regularly Helpful

USA
806 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  00:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Duncan's Homepage
Well, if you want time to pass quickly, do one of these speed modeling sessions... I'll give him a real head (instead of a squished sphere) when I have some more time.

Edited by - Duncan on 01/30/2004 23:03:21
Go to Top of Page

dannepop
Regularly Educational

Sweden
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  02:22:50  Show Profile  Visit dannepop's Homepage  Click to see dannepop's MSN Messenger address
Hi Dasch
My times was 30 min modeling and 40 min rendering!
I could have been a little more convincing in my choice of
texture, but I always miss the contests because of trying out different looks so I decided to stop with this.
Itīs all skin modeling!
Iīll be back with a completion of this model soon.

Danne/

Danne
S3D 3.9 OSX - TiBook G4 1 Gig
"The right thing at the wrong time is wrong.
The wrong thing at the right time may be right.
The right thing at the right time is beautiful."
Go to Top of Page

dsch
Regularly Helpful

Denmark
906 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  06:08:19  Show Profile  Visit dsch's Homepage  Send dsch an AOL message  Send dsch an ICQ Message  Send dsch a Yahoo! Message
Oo, cool work Danne, and Duncan, it looks great! Oo, Tyler Godby had almost taking my idea Yeah, Yves' elephant is cool. Ok, here's my entry, called "Tux for the keychain" (toke 2 hours and 3 min., too many test renders I guess ):

I added the keychain part because Tyler Godby had already done a pinguin but not sure if it's too far from the subject now... All, info on how long it took, how I modelled, referencce image, and so on can be read in the comments. It was really fun to see how long you can come in two hours, great challenge!

={ Dan Schultzer }=

Edited by - dsch on 01/28/2004 06:10:15
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  09:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
Love that bunny, Duncan. One question: Why did you use shadowcatcher and not just put a plane under him for shadows to fall on? Is it quicker rendering?

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

Duncan
Regularly Helpful

USA
806 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  09:50:54  Show Profile  Visit Duncan's Homepage
Dasch, it isn't quicker rendering, because you're doing it in passes. I just wanted that pure white with shadows look, and it's a nice way to control it. With a ground plane I'd be dealing with a horizon line and falloff, and ShadowCatcher eliminates all that. Everyone's animals look good!
Go to Top of Page

TylerG
Inquisitive

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  10:24:06  Show Profile  Visit TylerG's Homepage  Send TylerG an AOL message
The "flatypuss" is actually that flat in real life. I got it from McDonalds a long time ago, so blame them for it being so flat! Here is the picture again.

And oh yeah, that other penguin wasn't mine. It was my little brothers. HAHAHAHAH
http://www.stratacafe.com/image_relief.asp?imageID=12891

Tyler Godby
Go to Top of Page

dlofgreen
A Regular

286 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  10:42:03  Show Profile  Visit dlofgreen's Homepage
That was a great challenge Micheal. I had fun doing it. My time was 1hr. 50min. I can't believe how fast the two hours went!

D.

Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  14:38:47  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message
2 hours sounds like a long time, doesn't it?
Imagine a 10 minute challenge =)

So, what do you guys think? Should we open a new forum for these, or is the general forum good enough? Definitely looks like there is some interest.

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

TylerG
Inquisitive

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  14:47:18  Show Profile  Visit TylerG's Homepage  Send TylerG an AOL message
that is a great idea michael... it takes alot of time to get all the way to this one forum. it would save time and i am a busy man...well, not really

Tyler Godby
Go to Top of Page

dsch
Regularly Helpful

Denmark
906 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  14:47:39  Show Profile  Visit dsch's Homepage  Send dsch an AOL message  Send dsch an ICQ Message  Send dsch a Yahoo! Message
Ah, sorry Tyler. Mixed that up The flatypuss is really great Nice work on the bear, Derek (amazing there is so few ).

Well, a seperate forum might be good so it doesn't get all mixed up but not sure if there will be enough interest so that it require a new forum. Anyway, such speed challenges seams great, and I would probably try several ones (depend on how busy I am, of course). Is there going to be votings/places and how?

={ Dan Schultzer }=
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  14:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message
I wasn't under the impression that voting was needed for these. The journey is the reward =)

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

dsch
Regularly Helpful

Denmark
906 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  14:51:23  Show Profile  Visit dsch's Homepage  Send dsch an AOL message  Send dsch an ICQ Message  Send dsch a Yahoo! Message
Haha, yeah; it's really fun to see if you can beat the time as well as keep the quality of your work.

={ Dan Schultzer }=
Go to Top of Page

ycarry
A Regular

France
194 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  14:55:29  Show Profile
And whats about a WIP forum ? not to saturate the gallery with sometimes unfinished images
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  15:10:06  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message
I've got no problem with using the gallery for unfinished images. As long as you replace them with finished images at some point.

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  15:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage
I don't think we need a separatte forum. Each challenge just needs to be started as a new topic, and we can let it run it's course. As for voting, I agree with Michael the challenge and reward is in doing it.

Dasch
Go to Top of Page

Duncan
Regularly Helpful

USA
806 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  17:29:31  Show Profile  Visit Duncan's Homepage
new forum. no voting.

For one thing, it's fun to cruise through a challenge forum. Without one, these little competitions will get lost in the shuffle. With a dedicated forum you can visit the different threads, and contribute to an old one without having to root around looking for it. I think it would make the Cafe more interesting!
Go to Top of Page

TylerG
Inquisitive

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  18:02:07  Show Profile  Visit TylerG's Homepage  Send TylerG an AOL message
yes, interesting, but confusing

Tyler Godby
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000