Videoshop 4.5 won't capture video...
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vicarious
Infrequent Poster

4 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2002 :  17:01:48  Show Profile  Visit vicarious's Homepage
Hi, all. I am using Videoshop 4.5 which was bundled with the Belkin Videobus II for Mac. I have a Mac Power PC, G3 processor, 500 MgHz, 320Mgs of Ram, and an 18 gig hard drive, running Mac OS 9.1.
The first problem I have had in installing this program is that, after using the installers on the Install CD provided with the Belkin cable, and after launching Videoshop 4.5, the Digitizing Window is slow to open, there is a continuously cycling stop-watch. And when I try to open the Video settings window, it comes up entirely blank, sits for a few seconds, then disappears. I finally had to download different Belkin drivers (from their website) in order to get the Video settings window to come up properly. But the application version (1.2) seems older than the one on the installation CD (2.2.6?). Why is that?

The next problem, and the most frustrating, is that, once I finally got the Videoshop program to recognize the USBVision feature, it still will not capture video. I am using a Sony DCR-TRV/330 digital camcorder. I have done the following things to try to fix the problem:

Re-installed the OS system--SEVERAL times. I have even gone so far as to remove ALL other programs from the hard-disk to reduce the extensions conflict problems. In fact, I created a set of OS extensions that was barely capable of running the computer, and still that did not help. I took the extensions and put them in the Preferences folder. No Help. Then, I trashed the (Strata) preferences folder altogether. Again, no help.

I have turned off Virtual Memory and the Energy Saver. I have thrown away the ATI Accelerator extensions. I have added additional memory to the program, and I have NOT added additional memory to the program. Neither helped.

I upgraded to Videoshop version 4.5.1. That did not help.

I have uninstalled the program and reinstalled several times, alternating with installing the Belkin drivers. I have the latest USB drivers from Apple. I have the latest OpenGL drivers as well.

I have launched the program before beginning my camcorder, and after. No help. I unplugged the cables, plugged them into different USB ports. No help.

I have tried the program using a JVC VCR. Again, it does not work.

In short, I have done everything I can think of to make this thing work, and it does not.

And I am having a hard time believing this program is worth a damn.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any known--but little publicized--extensions conflicts I am not aware of? Are there some compatibility issues that haven't been addressed?

Please help. I am EXTREMELY frustrated.

Thanks for your time.

Bill Campbell
Vicariously Yours Creative Web Development
vicariouslyyours.com

gremlin4
Infrequent Poster

1 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2002 :  18:57:25  Show Profile  Visit gremlin4's Homepage
If it's any help, you are not alone. I have had the same problem for a long time. I am on a G4, with Jaguar running in classic. I was previously using 9.1 and 8.6 before that, and never got VideoShop to run with a Belkin 1.2 yet. Today is my 8th time trying, and I am watching your thread to see if the truth is really out there.

Good luck,

Brian

Learn about math and critical thinking at mathmojo.com
Go to Top of Page

vicarious
Infrequent Poster

4 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  02:26:22  Show Profile  Visit vicarious's Homepage
This is for Brian L. who first responded outside of this forum. First, thanks for getting back to me so quickly on this. Per your suggestions: I did a clean install of OS 9.0 (in fact, I installed the program on a freshly emptied and defragmented hard disk). Then I downloaded the OS 9.1 update from Apple (had to, as the OS 9 system was hanging during boot-up). The update fixed the boot-up problem. Then I downloaded the latest USB drivers from Apple, installed them. Then, I installed the Belkin drivers from their website. And finally, installed Videoshop 4.5 from the install CD.

Three problems: a window pops up everytime I start my computer, asking me if I want to download the software for a USB device "Unnamed Device". ????? When I launch Videoshop 4.5, everything seems to be okay until I try to change the video settings: it apparently recognizes the Belkin cable (USBVision), but when I try to set the input to C-Video, it automatically switches the input back to S-Video. And, finally, there is still no video capture. I set the extensions set to Mac OS 9.1 All, and also to Base, and neither works.

What confuses me is: why are there so many others who seem to have no problem at all getting this thing to work? And as far as extensions conflicts, I have NO other third party extensions installed, leading me to believe there is something inherently conflicting about the OS 9.1 itself. Has anyone been able to get Videoshop 4.5 to work using OS 9.1???

Thanks again for your time.

Bill Campbell
Vicariously Yours Creative Web Development
vicariouslyyours.com
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  02:39:40  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message
Well, that "Unamed Device" message means that the computer is definitely not loading the drivers for that USB device. I forwarded your message to Brian, I think, but I'm not sure he frequents these boards. You may want to respond back to him privately.

If you can locate the drivers in the extentions folder, try renaming it with a space at the beginning. That will force it to load first, and may override some other extention that is loading before it and causing it to malfunction.

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

vicarious
Infrequent Poster

4 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  02:12:52  Show Profile  Visit vicarious's Homepage
Thanks for the suggestion Michael. I jumped on it as soon as I read it. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. I reinstalled all the associated extensions, and then moved them to the head of the class, so to speak. No joy. Then I reinstalled Videoshop. I still get the "Unnamed Device" message, and Videoshop will not allow me to select C-Video. And, of course, there is no video or audio capture. As a final note, I have attempted to contact the tech folks at Strata (interesting that you are no longer allowed to call them for tech support...wonder why that is??).

Anyway, as I said, thanks for the advice. If you can think of anything else that might work, please let me know. In the meantime, I'll be sitting here trying to figure something out.

Cheers,

Bill Campbell
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000